The number one recipe cited for gut support is chicken stock or broth. It is nutrient-dense, easy to digest and supports gut health.
Simmering the bones and ligaments over a long period lets them release nutrients such as amino acids, fats, glucosamine, gelatin and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals. Gelatin supports the gut lining and helps reduce inflammation levels in the gut. As it is hydrophilic, it attracts and holds liquids, including digestive juices, to support digestion.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 24 hours
1 whole free-range chicken carcass or around a kilogram of chicken bones, such as necks, backs, breastbones, and wings (use organic chicken wherever possible)
Giblets from one chicken (optional)
4-5 litres cold filtered water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (to help leech the minerals from the bones)
1 large onion, roughly chopped
3-5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
1 bunch fresh parsley or 2 large tablespoons dried parsley
- Fill up a large slow cooker with pure, filtered water.
- Add apple cider vinegar and all vegetables to the water. If using dried parsley, add now. If using fresh parsley add about 10 minutes before finishing the stock.
- Place the chicken carcass or bones into the pot. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and let simmer for about 24 hours.
- Strain the stock liquid through a sieve and discard the bones and other ingredients.
- Use as a warm drink daily and/or add to soups, stews and sauces.
Want to know more?
Pro-Ven Probiotics aim to provide the best support for both you and your health. If you wish to know more about gut health and dietary requirements, please do not hesitate to call us on 01639 825107 or alternatively, learn more via our blogs or in-depth proven research.
ProVen Probiotics, Unit 2 Christchurch Road, Baglan Industrial Park, Port Talbot, SA12 7DJ. Tel: 01639 825107