Supporting the health of men everywhere
This entry was posted on 10th June 2019.
Some of the key messages include:
1. One man in five dies before age 65
2. Three out of four suicides are men
3. The biggest single cause of death in men is cancer
4. Men are less likely than women to visit their GP
5. Men are three times more likely to become alcohol dependent
6. 87% of rough sleepers are men
7. Men make up 95% of the prison population
8. Boys are performing less well than girls at all levels of education
9. Men are more likely to be overweight, especially after age 45
10. Men are more likely to be affected by type 2 diabetes
And from a diet perspective specifically… less than a quarter of men eat five or more portions of fruit and vegetables each day and 81% of men exceed the recommended salt consumption.
These statistics are difficult to read, but are necessary to know if we are to succeed in changing them.
Let’s all work together to support our boys and men in overcoming these issues and implementing lifestyle changes.
Start small – eat another portion of vegetables, move a little more, lose a few pounds – all can help to support physical and mental health.
A healthy digestive system can have an impact on the whole body and eating better and exercising can help to support digestion.